Sunday, February 5, 2012

Winter Fun


After Christmas, we decided to rent a cabin up in the mountains at Ensign Ranch. We thought it would be fun to take Samuel sledding and enjoy a heated cabin. There is no way we would have stayed in anything but a heated cabin, not when you have a little one. We figured that the more comfortable we would be at night, the better Samuel could sleep. Well, that didn't happen....

My Mom, Dad, and Kimberlee were all going to join us up at the cabin. My brother Jordan was already in our car. As we approached the pass, we all came to a stop. We found out the road was closed because of an accident so we ended up waiting for two hours before we could move one. During that time, Mom found out that the pass was going to get a lot of snow that night and since they had plans the following day, they couldn't afford to get trapped. So, they bailed on us. But, we decided to go ahead with our plans. And, since Jordan was with us, he was coming along to enjoy this experience.


We arrived late than originally planned and since Samuel had fallen asleep in the car during our two hour wait, he awoke and was ready to play. So, we kept him up while we played a came and made some yummy hot chocolate. This is where we made a very VERY very BIG mistake. We gave him some hot chocolate. 

When we were all ready for bed, Samuel was not. When we put him to bed, Samuel cried. When an hour went by, Samuel was still throwing a fit. When the clock said it was too late for anyone to be awake, Samuel was awake and NOT happy. I honestly don't quite remember what got him to sleep hours later but we were all grateful when there was peace and quiet at last. I really feel sorry for our neighboring cabin who shared a wall with us. 



Despite our horrible nights sleep, we still managed to have a wonderful morning. We made a hot breakfast and bundled up to go sledding in the snow. We had a few tumbles but I was the only was injured. I had hit a bump, flipped and slammed my shin into a junk of ice. Oh, did I mention Samuel was riding with me? Luckily my mother instincts kicked in and I shielded him with my arms. He left that mess untouched. Lucky kid. I still have a tender spot on my shin from that sledding accident. 


We found this snowman just hanging out by himself but the poor little fella didn't have anything, not even a face. So, Jordan got to work creating this masterpiece. He said the snowman was celebrating the Chinese new year....early, several weeks early.
 
Though the trip was full of things that we hadn't expected, we still had a really good time. This was definitely a memory maker. And, we have learned NEVER to give a child hot chocolate before bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment