Thursday, July 26, 2012

Surprise!

While I was in Idaho for a family reunion, I had the opportunity of being a part of a surprise retirement party for my BYU-Idaho Interior Design professor, TL McRay. It was a neat opportunity to see him and thank him for being an influential teacher in my life and in the education I received from him. I had a wonderful time meeting up with some old classmates. Ashley, Chari, and Melissa were the only ones who could make it but it was still a treat.

This is a video of his arrival. Check out that awesome car of his! I want one when I retire!





TL McRay had us read a book called Rhinoceros Success. He has always been a believer of this book.

 
So, when I saw this big banner hanging at his surprise party, I had to laugh. The picture is of TL riding a rhino. The cake was also characteristic of him. If you notice, there are different sizes of balls on the cake and on platters next to the cake. Not just any balls but TEXTURE BALLS. Oh, yes. I believe since he started teaching, he has had his first year students make a texture ball representing one of the design elements: Texture. He has kept several of his favorites over the years and displayed them on his desk. There have been some really neat ones.






It was good to see him and the other professors again. I loved my college years and even though there were many, many, many, late nights and tears and stress, it was a rewarding program. Thank you for the meaningful education you gave me! TL McRay will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment