Thursday, September 15, 2011

DIY Living Room Projects

I LOVE designing a room with LOTS of time, allowing the room to evolve and become something wonderful over a period of time. Often, when I try to rush and complete something or choose the easy route, it never quite looks or feels right. So, that being said, I have been working on my living room for the past several months. I have collected some wonderful pieces of furniture and still have many projects and accessorizing to make my room complete. 

Here are a few of the pieces of furniture we have collected over the past few months:

Antique Stereo Cabinet: This is a beautiful 1920's stereo cabinet that we found at a garage sale. I fell in love with the ornate detailing. It needs a little touching up to make it look fresh and knew again. We plan to use it as our own stereo cabinet. 


Mid-Century Style Sofa: I fell in love with this sofa when I saw it. I love the tall wood legs, slender arms, and the tufted back. We found this sofa at Macy's and waited for it to go on sale. Love, love, love it!


Reclaimed Wood Coffee Table: We were shopping around the Kasala Outlet several months ago and came across this table. Unfortunately, you can't see the detailing of the reclaimed wood but it is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L. There is so much character in the wood. I love that it brings it own story to the table. 



Diamond in the Rough Chair: I posted on this chair awhile back. I found this chair at goodwill. It was covered in this ugly pink velvet fabric. It was a total granny chair. But, I saw it's potential. I took the project of reupholstering the chair. Mind you, this was my first real experience reupholstering a chair. Wow, it was hard but way worth it. I found the awesome fabric at Ikea Doesn't it look fantastic!



Wall Art Piece: I painted this piece to go over the fireplace. I like it but I think it's still evolving...



Wing Back Chair: Kyan and I were helping a neighbor move out and they were giving this chair away. (This picture makes the chair look really bright blue. Its a bit exaggerated then in real life.) It is in fabulous condition. I'm planning on dressing it up with some rivets along the seems and a fun pillow and throw. 


Now, as for the other stuff....


I came across this awesome blog: http://vintagerevivals.blogspot.com/

This woman is inspirational. She has opened my eyes to a whole new DIY world. She inspired me to stencil my living room wall. Have I done it before? No. So, why not give it a try! I figured if it looked horrible the worst thing I would1 have to do is paint over it. I found a stencil I liked, bought it, read up on how to stencil and got to work.



My finished product turned out AWESOME! I love it!

Over Labor Day weekend, Kyan and I were at his parents. We took on a project that I had taped out on our wall at home. 


We were making shelves! Not just any shelves but custom design, perfect fit for our living room shelves. Since we have used our coat closet as a pantry, I thought up a design that would include a place to hang coats. It will look fantastic when it's all done. BIG THANKS to Galen and my husband for building them. 




We took these shelves home and I sanded them down to perfection. And, if you know me, they a were PERFECTLY smooth and ready to prime and paint. I'll be sure to show you the finished product. Once they are hung on the wall, I'll be replacing the console table with a bench. I'm excited. 

Now for the rug...


A rug like this can cost a lot of dollars. More dollars then I would like to spend. On the Vintage Revival blog, she showed how she had MADE her own rug. Yeah, um...cool? So, what do you think I'll be doing. uhmmm...yup. I'm going to make our living room rug. Don't fear, it would look cooler then any rug you can buy. I'm sure of it. :)

I have a few other smaller projects for the living room and a bit of accessorizing before it's done. But, in the end, it will be a work of art. I'm loving it already.


1 comment:

  1. YOU are inspirational! I LOVE home decorating too. I like it just like you, when it comes together slowly piece by piece. I need to do better at not rushing it. LOVE the stencil! I want to do one! But have no idea where....

    ReplyDelete