Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Thanksgiving Week

I know it's a little past Thanksgiving but this is a time not worth forgetting about. This Thanksgiving was a whirlwind of fun. I had my brother and sisters, with their children, come to Washington. I also had my mother's side of the family with their loved ones all come as well.

You might be thinking at this point...."Whaa Wait.....how many is that?"

31

That's right, 31 wonderful, delightful, awesome family members! It was such a nice Thanksgiving. I hosted my Aunt and Uncle and my two cousins. It was fun to have someone stay at our house for a change. My Mom has this thing about having all her children stay with her when they come to visit. She wants to spend as much time with them as possible. It must be a mother thing. :) The other Uncles and Grandparents stayed at the Salish Lodge.

Chris and Donny came up with the idea of having an adult breakfast at the Salish Lodge before the business of Thanksgiving began. It was such a delightful experience. Of course, they served gourmet breakfast dishes that could not be completely devoured because of the rich flavors, but oh how yummy. It was nice to spend some adult time together. As much as I love my own child and my siblings children, it's nice to have time without them. Thank you Chris and Donny for that nice experience!
So....you might be wondering what we had planned for the Thanksgiving meal? Shall I introduce you to the two most amazing gourmet chefs of all times?.....Here are the spectacular chefs....

Uncle Chris and Uncle Donny!

They insisted on planning and preparing Thanksgiving dinner for 31 people. Wow, right! This was no traditional Thanksgiving meal. They went all out. They bought fresh herbs, delicious vegetables, aged cheeses, nuts, and other ingredients to make mouthwatering dishes. And, mouthwatering they were!

Uncle Chris made this appetizer that had smoked trout with a slice of green apple, drizzled with a sweet mustard sauce all on a rye cracker. Are your saliva glands over producing at this moment because mine are! Just thinking about it makes me want to run to Pike Place Market to buy some of that smoked trout. 

Donny and Chris made several delicious dishes. One of my favorites was the creamed spinach and surprisingly the turnip dish. If you know me, you know I have come to the conclusion that turnips are not meant to be cooked with. I have used them in soups, stews and I have sliced them and baked them like french fries. Every single time I have used turnips, Kyan and I have admitted to each other that the dish would be better without them. So, when I heard Donny was making a turnip dish, I couldn't help but wonder if I would come to this same conclusion.

Donny, you proved me wrong!

I am not sure what he did but that whipped turnip dish was out of this world. It was creamy and delicious. It had to have been the Chef's magic touch because that was amazing. You have to understand, the dishes didn't stop here, there were glazed carrots, Tuscan herb rubbed turkey, herb pesto cauliflower, pear and pecan salad, yam and apple bake, fresh sausage and bread stuffing and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

With the help of random family members, Chris and Donny spent the entire day before Thanksgiving in the kitchen, chopping, mincing, peeling, and preparing for the following day. On Thanksgiving day, they spent it in the kitchen, preparing and cooking the fabulous meal.

All I can say is WOW! It was such a wonderful delight to experience this. Thank You for the wonderful food, the time in the kitchen, the money spent, the delightful experience, but most of all the time we had to spend with you guys.

I know you're thinking....this post is getting long and I don't see any pictures? Well, I was having too much fun with everyone that I forgot to take pictures. :( I'm sad I didn't take any because the two cousins that stayed at my house, Kevin and Eric, I haven't seen for years. It was so good to see them. That whole family decided to come on a shorter notice because they weren't sure if they could make the trip. I am so glad they did.

It was so nice to see loved ones. Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without Uncle Paul's great laugh and sense of humor and Grandma and Grandpa  Upton's presence and my fabulous parents, siblings and children. It was a wonderful and most thanks filled time.

Happy Thanksgiving!





No comments:

Post a Comment