Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Ultimate Career

When I was young, I was told that someday I would get MARRIED and have KIDS of my own.
 I would be a MOM!

Then, I started babysitting and realized I didn't WANT kids of my own all because I didn't LIKE babysitting the snotty ones. That mindset actually stuck around for a very long time.

But, then life and college happened and I met my HUSBAND (Love at first date. I was too busy thinking about not settling down in Washington to really notice him at first. So the love didn't happen at first site. It happened on the first date...well, the realization that this guy was REALLY something cool.)


We got MARRIED!
It was such a wonderful and treasured day. 
Married life was everything I thought it would be.... EXHILARATING, FULFILLING, PERFECT!

 Then one day, MOTHER'S DAY happened and it became very clear to me the REALITY of motherhood was not far off. I was excited and ready (or so I thought) to be a mother. (Honestly, I was tired of working and wanted an excuse to have a more fulfilling job...Motherhood).


Did anyone mention that in order to be a mom you had to go through pregnancy first? Oh how I thought it would be fun....

I suppose it prepares you a little for whats to come (both the good and the tough)....


This beautiful baby entered our lives. Our sweet little SAMUEL. My journey of being a mom had truly begun. These were the most challenging, exhausting, emotional, tender, sweet, precious times that I had ever experienced. 

The question I ask myself was ....NOW WHAT?!?

 I didn't know much of anything except from what I had read in books and from other advice. Most of what I learned from my first child was the realization that one must embrace the journey and learn as you go. No matter how much you try to follow the advice of everyone else, the real task is learning to following the God given gift of your own motherly instinct. I learned that I must do what I feel is best for me, my children, and my family. 

Samuel has been an absolute joy! Almost three years have past and I get to enjoy cheese towers...


watching him learn and LOVE to learn. It's a pleasure being his mom!




Then one day we decided to have another...


Do you see those eyes....yup, they were as tired (if not more) as they looked. If I thought pregnancy was tough the first time around, I didn't realize what it would be like with a  TODDLER!

But...
It was just as rewarding with our second child. 


We welcomed ETHAN into our home! And, boy has he been a joy.


 And....he continues to crack us up with his large adorable smiles and cute giggles. 



My children have brought much JOY (and lots of experiences that try my patience). I have been blessed to experience motherhood and all that comes with it. Like they say, the hardest things in life are the most rewarding and character building. 

I have come across a quote that I have really come to appreciate. I may not be a professional in the work force making grand achievements but I know for a fact that I have the ULTIMATE CAREER. 

“The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support the ultimate career. ” 

C.S. Lewis

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment